Back to Chicago sights
Founded in 1873, this church has been twice rebuilt. The original wooden church was renovated in 1895. The exisiting church was built in its place in 1905 (consecrated in 1906). Holy Trinity was originally a mission parish operated by St. Stanislaus Kostka, which was founded in 1867 and which stands just two blocks to the north on Noble Street in Chicago (the former just south of Division and the latter just north of Division).
Their connection is not a happy one. Three years after it was opened, Holy Trinity sought to be independent of St. Stanislaus. A lay group sought to hire its own pastor, and as a punishment bishop of Chicago closed the church in 1876. After a year Mass was offered in the church, but when the then-pastor died in 1881 the church was closed again until 1889, opened just briefly then, and not reopened until 1893 when the Congregation of the Holy Cross began to staff the parish (the dispute with St. Stanislaus was settled by a papal representative).
Strange to say, Holy Trinity Church cannot be found in a book describing dozens of old Chicago churches: Edward R. Kantowicz, The Archdiocese of Chicago: A Journey of Faith (2006). The book does offer a synopsis of the connection between these two handsome churches, which are both thriving in 2017. See below for more.
An unusual feature are the two side altars, both raised
The windows and ceiling frescos are worth a close look. They appear to be very fine.
The Annunciation (left). The angel appears to the shepherds (right)
John baptizes Christ
The flight into Egypt
The choir loft, with its heavenly host.
Even getting to Holy Trinity from the north is a bit of a challenge. Noble Street, which both churches face, is two-way north of Division, but north-bound only south. There is a handsome plaza in front of Holy Trinity, all the better for admiring the impressive façade, but the plaza somehow reinforces the separation of the church itself from the surrounding area. St. Stanislaus, on the other hand, is on property that is only a few feet from the bustle and noise of the Kennedy Expressway.
Here is a brief summary from Edward R. Kantowicz, The Archdiocese of Chicago: A Journey of Faith, pp. 29-30. Kantowicz relates the feuding among Irish congregations, which was centered on conflicts between foreign-born Irish pastors (FBI, as they were called) and Irish priests born in the United States. The Polish too had conflicts. Kantowicz writes: